Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pre-Deployment Chills

I feel miserable.

Seriously.

On the way home from running errands today and I had to pull over and let May drive.

What does this have to do with deploying? One word. ANTHRAX.

On Tuesday, before leaving the hospital after my last surgery prior to deployment, I went like the obedient sailor that I am to the immunization clinic. I knew I was in the window for the second dose of the anthrax series and figured I'd get it over with so there'd be one less line to stand in at NMPS (the processing station). After the first shot, a few months ago, I'd had a little deltoid soreness and MAYBE some fatigue for a day or so but no biggie. I figured this one would be the same...

WRONG!!!!

Yesterday my arm hurt (expected) and I was a little fatigued but over all not bad off. I wrote it off to an early morning session at Tourmaline and too much Loco Moco at Leilani's Cafe. By yesterday evening I was so tired I went to bed at like 7. After a night of tossing and turning with my arm hurting every time I rolled to my right side I got up and headed to the beach. My arm still hurt and I was definitely more tired than usual for 7 am (especially after being in bed for 12 HOURS! Anyway, we had a nice session in super clean, though not too consistent, waist to chest surf and then headed for a round for french toast at Fig Tree. During breakfast I noticed I was sore all over. By the time I headed home I was feeling like I normally would after a double session overhead day AND the hike up from Blacks AND a few beers in the hot tub... but it was only 10:30 AM.

When I got home I had to take May to run some errands and I progressively got worse. Sitting at a stoplight on the way home from Lamps Plus, the whole world turned upside down and I had to turn the controls over. Ugh. Home to bed exhausted but not sleepy. Laid in bed for 2 hours and finally gave up hope as I felt progressively worse.

So now I'm sitting here with a sore arm, a wicked headache, chills (I can't get warm) but no fever, and an ache that includes every part of my body. Muscles, skin, fingernails, teeth, even my hair seems to hurt. Guess what the reported side effects of the vaccine are?

Yeah.

All of the above.

I hope it's worth it.

I think I'll go wrap myself in every down sleeping bag we own, take 800 mg of ibuprofen and three fingers of Bulleit. If I don't die from this stupid thing over night I'll catch you all later!

EBH

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you need a patented snap out of it. I'd have Cam give it to you, but I don't think he could handle what you'd give him.

    ReplyDelete