Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Gas Passers...






No. This entry is not about flatulence. As I continue to introduce you to the team, it sometimes makes sense to clump people together by the job they do. Sometimes it has more to do with who I've actually interviewed so far. In any event, today I'm featuring our anesthesia team. We (usually) can't do surgery without anesthesia and, since we ARE a forward surgical team, we would be relatively crippled without these two "gas passers", as we affectionately refer to them.

LCDR Wade Vincent is our anesthesiologist coming jet fresh from the island of Oahu where he practices at Tripler Army Medical Center. Funny thing about Dr. Vincent; when we were at NMPS on the first official day of this deployment, a somewhat familiar looking guy approached me and knew my name. Obviously it was Wade, and he recognized me as having been a year or so ahead of him it Utah and then again at USUHS. Small Navy! Anyway, Wade runs the anesthesia for the team and is also my partner in crime when it comes to the (not so) urban farming operation we're trying to get off the ground here as we long for good veggies. So without further ado... LCDR Vincent!

SSSS: What’s your full name?

John Wade Vincent

SSSS: Code name?

Morpheus

SSSS: Why that one?

He is the Roman God of Dreams

SSSS: Where were you born?

Provo, UT. Utah Valley Regional Medical Center

SSSS: Married or single?

Married

SSSS: Any kids?

Nine kids! Adam 24, Aimee 22, Aaron 20, Aubree 16, Allee 10, Abbee 8, Aiden 6, Austin 4, Avaree 2. It’s a lot of fun! Never a dull moment… and if there is, it means they’re into something!

SSSS: How long have you been in the military?

Almost 25 years. I was prior enlisted as a DS – Data Systems technician.

SSSS: Any tattoos?

No

SSSS: What’s food do you miss most being here on the FOB?

Pizza. Hawaiian pizza.

SSSS: What’s your favorite food that they serve here?

I like the fresh fruit. Especially the pineapple! Closest to Hawaiian that I’ve ever had!

SSSS: Any food that you absolutely won’t eat?

No. It’s funny… we don’t go out to restaurants very often but some of the places I’ve been with you guys opens my eyes to why people really “like to eat”!

SSSS: What’s your favorite movie of all time?

Avatar. In 3D The 3D blew me away! I think I saw it 3 times in 3D.

SSSS: Team Edward or Team Jacob?

Oh gosh…. Ummmm.. I like Jacob. Edward's a little too yuppie for me. I like the Indians but don’t care for yuppies too much.

SSSS: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars

SSSS: Mac or PC?

I would say Mac but I’m too cheap to own one. You could say that I have Mac envy.

SSSS: Tupac or Biggie?

I don’t know either one really…

SSSS: Astrological sign?

Gemini

SSSS: Briefs or boxers?

Briefs

SSSS: If you could teleport from here to anywhere in the world for 6 hours where would you go?

Back home to Hawaii

SSSS: Are you a little bit country or a little bit rock-n-roll?

Rock-n-roll

SSSS: Did you get that last reference?

Born and raised in Provo... DUH!

SSSS: What’s your favorite thing you’ve gotten in a care package?

It’s either the grow-light or this small bullet blender my wife sent. I get enjoyment out of both every day!

SSSS: What message do you want to share with everyone reading?

I appreciate all the support. It means a lot. None of us do this job for the money but we believe in what we do and when people back home share their appreciation for what we do it means the world to me.


Wow! Great to get to know Wade a little better! But hang on folks! Dr. Vincent is only half of our anesthesia team here on FOB Lagman! Coming to us from Florida by way of San Diego is the one and only LT Gerald Gambala. Gerald, or "Gamba" as we often refer to him, is a certified registered nurse anesthetist. He provides great anesthesia for us and loves to teach our corpsmen, as he was once one himself! He is part of the local branch of the Filipino mafia and comes with navy heritage as his Dad was in the Navy too! Let's get to know the other man behind the blood brain barrier a little bit better...

SSSS: What’s your full name?

Gerald Tolo Gambala

SSSS: Code name?

Hypnos

SSSS: Why that one?

Greek god of sleep

SSSS: Where were you born?

Milton, Folrida

SSSS: Married or single?

Married

SSSS: Any kids?

Two. A 13 year old girl and a 6 year old boy

SSSS: How long have you been in the military?

20 years. Started as a corpsman for 11 years, then got out, got my degree and came back.


SSSS: Any tattoos?

Two. My favorite is the dragon on my left shoulder. I got it free for helping save the guy's life who owned the tattoo parlor. He coded on the cardiac cath table.

SSSS: What’s food do you miss most being here on the FOB?

Anything Filipino. My favorite Filipino food is Kare-Kare (peanut butter oxtail stew)

SSSS: What’s your favorite food that they serve here?

Everything’s edible when the menu’s on a weekly rotation.

SSSS: Any food that you absolutely won’t eat?

Anything with curry. Not a big fan of curry.

SSSS: What’s your favorite movie of all time?

I don't really have one. I enjoy all movies.

SSSS: Team Edward or Team Jacob?

I’m gonna say I’m uh… Team Jacob. Ask my wife.

SSSS: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars

SSSS: Mac or PC?

I have both. Just bought the Mac and it already broke down

SSSS: Tupac or Biggie?

Tupac

SSSS: Astrological sign?

Scorpio

SSSS: Briefs or boxers?

Boxer-briefs

SSSS: If you could teleport from here to anywhere in the world for 6 hours where would you go?

Home

SSSS: Lowenbrau, Becks, St Pauli, or O’Douls?

St. Pauli

SSSS: Are you a little bit country or a little bit rock-n-roll?

Rock –n -roll

SSSS: Did you get that last reference?

I have no idea.

SSSS: What’s your favorite thing you’ve gotten in a care package?

Anything from my wife. She and my son sent easter cards.

SSSS: What message do you want to share with everyone reading?

Hello to my family and friends. All is well. Five more months to go. Love to my wife and kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment