Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Navy Nurses!


Today I'm showcasing two of Navy Nursing's finest! LCDR Mike Finckbone and LCDR (sel) Malissa Wickersham are two more incredible members of the team. They've been with us since day one at Dix and both have managed to maintain sanity while helping the rest of us to maintain our own!




Malissa is our emergency care nurse but is also a nurse practitioner! Her abilities in both capacities are a huge bonus, especially in those situations where we become nearly overwhelmed with multiple casualties. She is a great mentor to the corpsmen and also serves as our morale officer organizing auctions for dog attacks, St. Patty's day parties, and Friday movie nights as well as personally baking birthday cakes whenever someone's big day comes up. It's a pleasure to introduce you to a woman who brings much to the table but asks for nothing in return!

SSSS: What’s your full name?

Malissa Dawn Wickersham

SSSS: Code name?

Domina

SSSS: Why that one?

Because I’m dominant! Ask my husband. It’s true! He’s not afraid of a strong woman.

SSSS: Where were you born?

Rapid City, SD

SSSS: Married or single?

Married

SSSS: Any kids?

Two kids. A son who’s 18 and a daughter who will be 16 next month.

SSSS: How long have you been in the military?

10 years

SSSS: Do you have any tattoos?

I do. I have a tramp stamp!

SSSS: What’s food do you miss most being here on the FOB?

Crab stuffed shells that I make with with sautéed spinach and alfredo sauce

SSSS: What’s your favorite food that they serve here?

Chocolate cheesecake

SSSS: Any food that you absolutely won’t eat?

Ice cream. Just not an ice cream person. It's not that I WON'T eat it... I just usually don't.

SSSS: What’s your favorite movie of all time?

The Wizard of Oz. I always wanted to be the good witch. I’ve got the witch part down, it’s the "good" I’m working on!

SSSS: Team Edward or Team Jacob?

Team Jacob. He’s hot. I actually have a cardboard cutout of him at home!

SSSS: Star Wars or Star Trek?

The original Star Trek. It was something me and my Dad watched together. That and boxing!

SSSS: Mac or PC?

I own PC’s but people are trying to convince me to convert to Mac. I’m thinking about converting.

SSSS: Tupac or Biggie?

Neither. I’m a country girl. I’ll take Shania Twain. When I was real little I was in love with Mac Davis!

SSSS: Astrological sign?

Virgo. And when I go home I WILL be a reborn virgin!

SSSS: Briefs or boxers?

Commando

SSSS: If you could teleport from here to anywhere in the world for 6 hours where would you go?

My bedroom...

SSSS: Lowenbrau, Becks, St Pauli, or O’Douls?

St Pauli

SSSS: Are you a little bit country or a little bit rock-n-roll?

Country

SSSS: Did you get that last reference?

Yeah. I do. I can’t remember exactly who said it though.

SSSS: What’s your favorite thing you’ve gotten in a care package?

A sexy letter from my husband.

SSSS: What message do you want to share with everyone reading?

Drink more wine. It makes people happy and there will be less war!


Wow! Alot of info from "Wick", as we like to call her! Now to move on to our Operating Room nurse extraordinaire, Mike Finckbone. Mike is a former Marine who went and got edu-ma-cated and joined the Navy. He cracks the whip on both our enlisted OR techs and all of us surgeons to keep things in the OR organized and efficient. His wisdom and vast experience are invaluable in this setting. He knows how to make things happen and always has an alternate solution to a problem if supplies or experience threaten to limit our capability. A true example or the "Semper Gumby" (Always Flexible) attitude needed to practice good medicine in bad places, Mike is an ever present ally to us all.



SSSS: What’s your full name?

Mike Todd Finckbone

SSSS: Code name?

Lunista

SSSS: Why that one?

He was a trainer and purveyor of gladiators

SSSS: Where were you born?

Centralia, IL

SSSS: Married or single?

Married

SSSS: Any kids?

Three; Lindsay 20, Sean 15, London 12

SSSS: How long have you been in the military?

20 years military. 8 in the USMC, 12 in the Navy

SSSS: Any tattoos?

One. 8th Counter Intelligence Unit. They paid for it! I was drunk! Always said if I get another it’d be a biohazard symbol on my backside!

SSSS: What’s food do you miss most being here on the FOB?

Fresh grilled grouper. I miss fresh fish!

SSSS: What’s your favorite food that they serve here?

Eggplant parmesan.

SSSS: Any food that you absolutely won’t eat?

Jello. I refuse to eat Jello. I’m a grown man and my Mom can’t make me. Kool-aid too!

SSSS: What’s your favorite movie of all time?

Good question... Clockwork Orange.

SSSS: Team Edward or Team Jacob?

I have to go with Jacob because Edward looks feminine and constipated. I don’t trust him.

SSSS: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Trek. The old one. I wanted to be Kirk because he always got the blue chicks!

SSSS: Mac or PC?

Once you go Mac, you’ll never go back!

SSSS: Tupac or Biggie?

Who?

SSSS: Astrological sign?

Aries

SSSS: Briefs or boxers?

Boxers

SSSS: If you could teleport from here to anywhere in the world for 6 hours where would you go?

Angelina Jolie’s house. I have a hall pass for Angelina or Madonna.

SSSS: Lowenbrau, Becks, St Pauli, or O’Douls?

Lowenbrau

SSSS: Are you a little bit country or a little bit rock-n-roll?

Rock-n roll

SSSS: Did you get that last reference?

Yeah

SSSS: What’s your favorite thing you’ve gotten in a care package?

My fast hikers. So I can hike the perimeter. They’re sweet!

SSSS: What message do you want to share with everyone reading?

It’s not good to be a land-locked sailor! I miss the water!


Thanks for reading, everyone! See you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment